Friday, April 11, 2008

Terrible Two's?



This story is really long and so I am going to try to condense it down. So...while the other kids were taking naps on Saturday Avery had another agenda. Al put her to bed in the pack 'n' play in our room. She had been in there for a while when Al started to hear noises. He went in our room and found Avery covered in magic markers. When he surveyed the rest of the room he saw marker on our doors, my shoes, the sheets on our bed, our quilt, my books and all over Avery's clothes. Al said that Avery's hands were completely black with marker.

Us girls got home at about the time Al had finished giving Avery her bath. Al was so mad he couldn't even form words to explain what had happened. Meanwhile Avery sat there looking pretty angelic.

After the initial shock wore off we went and grabbed all of the art supplies and put them on top of the cabinet in our closet. Now, I know you are probably wondering why we had the art supplies where they were in the first place. They used to be in Avery's room, in a drawer that she couldn't open, but I had recently moved all of the things out of that drawer to make room for the baby...and then hadn't wanted to/thought to put them back in the drawer. I admit that I should have had the art supplies in a better place, but it was too late now :(

Al put Avery back down for a nap since she appeared to be exhausted and because neither one of us were too thrilled to be around her at that time. About fifteen minutes had passed and Al asked me to go and check on her again. I crept in and looked in the crib, and Avery was gone!! I couldn't breath for just a second and then looked around the corner and saw Avery sitting in our closet. Covered in green poster paint. Not only was she covered, but our carpet was saturated, the paint was smeared all over the cabinet, and Avery's hair was bright green. I just froze for a few seconds while Avery told me happily that the carpet was "geen!!" How did this happen??

I ran and grabbed my mom and brought her into the room. She gasped and then started to chuckle. I didn't think it was funny, but I guess if it's a grandchild than it becomes funny. My mom went and got Jen and she had the same reaction. Al came running in and was absolutely flabbergasted.

We didn't even know that Avery could crawl out of that crib until that day. Then the markers...then the paint that was on top of the 6 ft. cabinet! Jen opened the doors to the cabinet and we saw green paint up all of the shelves. All of the other art supplies were still intact on the top. So we knew that Avery couldn't have shaken the paint off. The only way she could have gotten it was to climb up all of the shelves. This freaked me out. It's not a very quality piece of furniture and I immediately thought that I was so glad the whole thing hadn't come crashing down on her.

I put Avery in the tub again and my dad came up to supervise her. She had so much paint on her that the water in the tub had turned completely green. Jen and Al, my mom and I, went to work scrubbing the carpet. Then my mom and I left to get more cleaning supplies. By the time we got back the carpet looked a ton better. Al and Jen had gotten most of the paint out so that now it only has a minty tinge to it.

I still have some cleaning to do to get it back to as close to normal as we can. The good news is that most of the marker came out.

I don't have any pictures of the event because I was too mad to consider it. But Jen took a few with her camera, so if I get them I will post them so you guys can see Avery's hard work.

2 comments:

Clark Family said...

It's not just my kids!!! Sorry but that is so funny!

nyn said...

ROFL!! Two of my three kids have pulled this trick. The last time was Adelle at Christmas with markers. I thought she was napping and after and hour I went in to check on her in Mom's guest room, she was covered in marker. Thank goodness for bathtubs and soap.