Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Train Cake








I got home from San Antonio on Sunday afternoon and baked the cake so that it would be ready to decorate on Monday night. Al was on-call Monday night, so after I put the kids in bed I set out to deck the cake out. It took me a long time! Over two hours. Because I had to do the tracks and the grass first. And then those little train cars...even though they are tiny they took forever! There were 9 cars total, but only 6 fit on the track. I was kinda glad I didn't have to do the last 3. I guess it's kind of a cross between a cake and a gingerbread house with all of the candy on it. But I thought it was so cute! And appropriate for a boy's 1st birthday.

James smiled at first, but then it spiraled down hill pretty quickly. He didn't want anything to do with his cake. Didn't want to touch it, taste it, see it, smell it, etc. You get the idea. He finally put one finger in the icing and cried and cried. Avery just wanted to pick the candy off the train and Al had a big serving of ice cream and nothing else. So all of that work on the cake for nothing!! Nothing! How lame is that?!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Not for nothing- now he will always have some super cute pictures from his birthday. I love that 1st pic of you and the kids!

(I'm waiting for Rhett to fall asleep so I can go crash...I'm tired after this morning!)

Gourmified said...

So cute! You did an amazing job on his cake! Did he get to enjoy the leftovers, at least?

Michelle said...

So, so CUTE! You did an awesome job! I love your post! The story was hillarious. Geez Al!
Seriously, you did a great job. I'm totally jealous. (isn't it so fun to be a mom... I love it)

Take Care.

Heather said...

It is SO cute though and you got some good pictures! That's the most important part. :)

Jessie said...

Wow Jenny, I'm pretty impressed with your cake making skills. I mean, I know from the wedding that you had skills, but wow. So impressive. And so cute. Sorry no one wanted to eat it! I would have made them eat it! You worked so hard!

Jeff and Brittney said...

Cute, cute cake! You are so talented! Camden didn't like his cake either and I spent WAY too much time for him to just cry and not eat! So I know how you feel! I find comfort in thinking years down the road the kids will be thankful for all the work us Moms do for them!!!

Britt

KevandChels said...

Sounds like last year when I made Peter a train cake for bday #1 and he burnt his hand on the candle. then my dad said "this cake is for the pictures, not for him." i can laugh about it now:) i also just made him a superman cape for his bday and he wouldn't touch it at first. ah well, can't say we don't try! it sure is adorable though~