Friday, April 16, 2010

Strawberry Fields Forever...





Last Friday we went to Froberg Farms with the Friday playgroup. It is about 20 minutes away. It is strawberry picking season right now. We missed it completely last year, so I was excited to go and see it. What is it about strawberries that is so homey? And cheerful and summery? There were fields and fields of strawberries. I loved seeing the bright green and red in mass quantities.

Avery and I were each armed with a bucket and we picked a row that we thought looked good...they all looked good...The plants were really plentiful and it didn't take long at all to fill the buckets. Avery is definitely a strawberry lover. She sampled a few as we picked and then as we walked through the rest of the market. I was glad I put her in an old shirt for the day. Good thinking on my part!

We brought the berries home and I decided to try to make some freezer jam. I have only ever made apricot jam, the old-fashioned way, but I was glad to see that the freezer jam is easy, just messy. I made a double batch and took a few jars to some friends. Then Al got home from work and ate a whole jar in one sitting. The next day he ate another jar. So the kids and I went back to the farm this week and picked more strawberries and I made another double batch.

There is a blueberry farm here too, but it is about 40 minutes away or so. I really want to go and check it out though...I think blueberry jam sounds good too...blueberry pancakes...blueberry syrup...Mmm...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will add my testimony that the jam was delish!!!! I am bummed I missed that activity- I really wanted to go. do you know how long it last for?

Jessie said...

That looks like so much fun! Your mom made some jam too and I was able to reap the rewards without any of the work! Love that Annette.