Saturday, June 28, 2008

My First Wedding Cake...!?!

Al's sister Jen is getting married on July 11th. Avery and I are flying out to Phoenix for the big event (Al will be back at the hospital by then). I was very surprised (and flattered) when Jen asked me to make the wedding cake for hers and Dave's wedding. I have baked countless cakes and have decorated a few birthday cakes and tons of sugar cookies...but never a whole huge wedding cake.

Here is a very, very rough version of Jen's and Dave's wedding cake. I wanted to do a practice run to figure out the construction of the cake. It was really cool putting it together and adding each tier on top of the other.

I did some research on what I would need to make it all work, to make sure that the layers stay in place and that nothing tips, caves in, etc. I learned that with heavy/moist cakes, like these kinds, you need wooden or plastic dowels inserted in each layer. Then on top of each tier is a plastic plate supporting the next layer.

Of course for the big day the frosting will be more evenly applied and it will be all decorated and sparkly and with flowers on top.

Jen picked Italian Coconut Creme cake, and a chocolate chip and yellow cake with chocolate shavings, all with buttercream frosting.

Avery was dying for a piece of cake and so immediately after we took these pictures we dove in. I am excited for the real one that I will decorate. I guess more pictures of that in a couple of weeks!!

2 comments:

nyn said...

My mouth starts watering just looking at it. It was soooooo good. I know it is going to be just as awesome for the wedding.

Sarah said...

I am SOO impressed...this will be so fun!