Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Avery's First Day





Today was Avery's first day of preschool. She was so excited that when we got to her teacher's house Avery started jumping up and down.

Yesterday we went to the grocery store for a few things. I let Avery pick out what she wanted for breakfast on her first day and she picked powdered donuts. She also decided that she needed some teddy grahms for an after school snack. On the way to the checkout we noticed that they were having a sale on nail polish, so on a whim I let Avery pick out a new color so that we could paint her nails for school. She picked out a shade called Fuschia Fever...it's about as bright a pink you can get.

Later that night, after dinner, Avery had a bath. We set out her outfit for the next day and then I gave her her manicure and pedicure. She giggled in delight when she held out her hands in front of her with the fuschia nail polish on. Then we went downstairs and had FHE with Al. Al had decided earlier that it should be a tradition that the kids get back to school blessings, and wanted to start the tradition with Avery's first year of preschool :) We explained in basic terms what the blessing was for and Avery was so quiet and calm during the blessing...very un-Avery like.

This morning Avery woke up with a big smile and happily ate her donuts. Then we got her ready and did a quick photo shoot before we headed out. The 2 1/2 hours she was gone passed quickly, but I found myself checking the clock often- wondering how Avery was doing and what she was learning. When I picked her up at 11:15 she had a huge grin on her face. She exclaimed, "Mom, I missed you!" I buckled her in to her seat and rolled down her window because she wanted to say good-bye to her friends. It was too cute as she called out, "Bye Anna!! Bye kids!! Bye Miss Annie!!"

The teacher emails out a weekly newsletter, so I knew that this week they are learning about the letter A, working on writing their name, learning about apples, the calendar, and a few other things. Avery told me they talked about 'A' and that they had apples and popcorn for a snack. She said she sat by Anna and they talked about the rules. They also did the calendar but Avery informed me that she didn't get to hold the pointer. Maybe tomorrow :) I can't wait to hear about tomorrow.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's just too cute! I miss preschool days. They're so innocent and unassuming. LOVE the pink toes...you must pass that along to Avery. She chose well!

julie said...

Very cute! Avery looks so much like you, she's adorable!

Clark Family said...

that is so cute! I am glad she loved it. You will learn to love the free time too.

Jessie said...

Oh preschool. It's such a fun place! I'm so glad she enjoyed it and that it gives you some time off during the day!

John and Lara said...

That is so cute. she is adorable. You are such a good mom. I wish I could think of those cute little ideas! Avery is getting so big and she is so beautiful.