Saturday, August 9, 2008

Jingle Bell



Avery and I went and ran some errands today while Al was working. One of our stops was to go to Hobby Lobby and get some cake stuff for the wedding (Jessie is going with the square). Well, Hobby Lobby has launched full-fledged into the holidays, not just Halloween, but Christmas too...even though it's August...and 100 degrees outside.

Anyhow, Avery was greatly distracted by the seasonal displays due to her obsession with the holidays. I made her go back and look at the cake stuff with me and then as we were walking back to the register Avery broke away and headed straight for the sparkling Christmas aisle. They already had their artificial trees set up, and lit! Avery got right up on the platform and said in awe, "A Christmas tree! A Christmas tree!" Then she touched the branches, took a couple of steps back and launched into her Christmas medley, which includes her very own renditions of 'Jingle Bells,' 'Frosty the Snowman,' and 'O Christmas Tree,' complete with choreography. Oh, I wish that I had my camera.

Then Avery took it upon herself to grab a couple of the ornaments that are for sale and put them on the sparse trees. After that she got off the platform to admire her work. We walked around the display and in front there was a fairly large nativity set. It was nearly as tall as Avery. I started to quiz Avery and had her point out the baby Jesus, Mary, and then Joseph. She got 100%. Then as we were heading off to the registers, Avery paused, turned, grabbed the Joseph's hand, gave it a good shake and said, "Hi! How are you?" Oh, I wish that I had my camera.

Well, I was on the floor pretty much at that point. Avery just got a bewildered look on her face because for one, there was no response of course, and for two, I was getting a huge kick out of the whole thing.

We ended up leaving the Hobby Lobby with this lovely, glittery lime green jingle bell. It was marked down on clearance for an exceptional price...I'm sure you can see why. But Avery loves it. She already has a red jingle bell at home that my mom bought her last year when she couldn't part with it at a store. I guess she's starting a jingle bell collection.

4 comments:

nyn said...

How AWESOME!! I love Christmas too!! I might need to go to Hobby lobby. The Avery stories are great. I would love to hear her sing those songs. I hope you get them on video next time.

Carrie said...

I love reading Avery stories. She is adorable and apparantly hilarious, too!

John and Lara said...

very cute! I can't beleive they already have christmas stuff out. Soon they just wont even ever put it away. Avery is so funny. I wish you had a camera too that would have been funny to watch.

julie said...

Avery is a hoot! I wish we lived close and could get our girls together. Boise has some nice hospitals, you guys could move here!