Monday, January 28, 2008

Penguin vs. Bear











One of Avery's Christmas presents was these penguin slippers. I was so excited when I found them and thought that Avery would love them. She did love them until she tried to start wearing them...

They are slip-on slippers and don't stay on Avery's feet quite as well as she wants them too. The first few times she wore them she gave up after a few minutes. Then the other day she seemed determined to make it work. I helped her put them on and she walked around, gingerly. After a few moments they went askew. Avery stopped and let me fix them for her, not thinking anything of it.

She walked around for a couple of more minutes until the slippers fell off again. This time she seemed slightly agitated, but again sat and let me straighten them out.
The third time the slippers came off Avery had had it. She picked the slippers up and chucked them across the room. Then she threw herself on the ground and cried and cried. I was trying not to laugh, thinking I shouldn't get too much enjoyment out of this, seeing as she was so frustrated.

We put the slippers away and I opted to put socks on her. The next day we went to Target. I thought I would check their slipper selection to see if there was anything in our price range. I found these bear slippers on clearance for $1.98. I decided it was well worth it. I had Avery try them on (She wanted the Thomas the Train ones but they were hideous...I slyly put them back and tossed the bear ones in our cart). These are the kind of slippers that have that socky-type part at the top, so they aren't going anywhere.

Avery loves her bear slippers. She has been wearing them proudly for the last couple of days. The penguin ones are big enough that they should fit next winter. I think I will maybe try to sew on some kind of elastic strap so they will stay put better. But in the meantime...the bears won.

0 comments: