Friday, December 7, 2007

No, no, no...




Yesterday Avery and I went and did a little more Christmas shopping at he Mills. I was also looking for an undershirt for Avery.
I decided to take Avery to the Carter's outlet since I was pretty sure I'd find the shirt and because Avery loves that store. They have hopscotch, these clouds that move on the ceiling, and a lego table.

As I was checking out I saw a bin that had these Christmas dolls marked 70% off. It was really cheap after the discount! So I decided that Avery might like to have this Christmas doll. I thought it was pretty cute and festive.

After driving us home and hauling in our bags I excitedly held the doll out to Avery and said, "Look, Avery! A Christmas baby!" She gave it one look and said, "No, no, no." So I tried again, "Here, hold your new baby!" "No, no, no." Finally I just tried to put it in her arms and Avery actually recoiled at the attempt. She scooted away from me several feet. This had me baffled.

When Al came home I told him the story. I tried to give Avery the baby again. She took it and threw it. I grabbed the doll and handed it to Al. I explained that I had thought the doll was cute, but maybe I am off or something. Al just looked at me and said, "Well Jenny, the doll doesn't have a nose..." I was aware of this fact when I bought the doll, but it didn't bother me, it was just a simple face. And it wasn't like just this doll was missing her nose. All of the other dolls in the bin looked exactly the same.

So today my mission was to try to fix this doll. I got some pink felt and cut out a little nose to stick on the doll. I also added some rosy cheeks. I didn't think that would hurt. After I was finished with the minor adjustments I handed the doll to Avery and said, "Look Avery. Mama fixed the baby." I handed the baby to her, she held it, studied it out, and then slowly with her pointer finger touched the dolls face and said, "nose." Then she went and put the baby in her grocery cart.

0 comments: